Sunday 27 March 2011

Child Soldier No More

Recently I was fortunate enough to see the Restore Tour from Watoto, Uganda. They have been touring NZ with a drama and dance performance called Child Soldier No More. I didn't really know what to expect but when I saw it I was absolutely blown away! The actors and dancers are all children and young people, most of whom have absolutely unbelievable stories from their experiences in the 20-year-long civil war in Uganda. Many of them were forced to be child soldiers and have endured every suffering and indignity imaginable (and unimaginable). However, as stunned and horrified as I was by what they had suffered, the most powerful thing for me was how they have risen above their circumstances. They are people of such joy and dignity. After telling their stories, they gave their forgiveness to the soldiers who abused them, to their families who rejected them, and to themselves. I was so incredibly humbled by their courage and strength. Whenever I look at the world and at myself and feel discouraged or despairing, I hope I will remember them, because they are living reminders to me that nothing is beyond God's reach to restore and heal.

Watoto.com has a good trailer and some awesome photos of the tour, a summary of the Watoto story and more about their various projects in Uganda.




(images from watoto.com)

Redemption, love and life :)
freedomfightergirl


0 comments:

Post a Comment